Job Shadowing at Finley Hospital
Job Shadow Program Overview
Thank you for your interest in participating in a job shadow at UnityPoint Health – Finley Hospital.
We’re committed to providing educational opportunities for individuals interested in healthcare careers, whether clinical or non-clinical in nature. Our Job Shadow Program is for students or individuals considering a career change or exploration.
Job Shadows are unpaid, observational hours and will not provide hands-on experience. While job shadowing typically involves students in high school or college, we also will consider requests from individuals who are considering a career change. You will be paired with a job shadow mentor and must remain with them throughout the job shadow experience. Your mentor will be able to answer questions about the position, and education and skill requirements.
Job shadow experiences will be evaluated on an individual basis. UnityPoint Health – Finley Hospital reserves the right, at any time, to cancel or suspend job shadow experiences based on community health or patient safety concerns.
Finley Hospital does not discriminate based on race, color, sex, religion, marital status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veterans' status or age.
Interested in a Preceptorship? Please contact Beth Bries, Clinical Education Lead, at Elizabeth.Bries@unitypoint.org or call (563) 589-2389.
Job Shadow Types
To become a volunteer, one must complete a formal application and orientation which includes a health screening, providing documentation of immunization, and receiving training/orientation. Learn more about volunteering.
A certificate of immunization that has been signed by your health care provider is required. In addition, please note that a two-step skin test is required if you have never had a yearly TB test with a history of a two-step test.
Job Shadow Application Information
- Job shadows will be scheduled in accommodation to the job shadow mentor work schedule.
- Requests are subject to the department manager’s approval and may be limited due to staff availability or workload. Some departments may have other specific parameters that must be met.
- While we attempt to accommodate the learning needs of our students, at times we may decline a request for a job shadow experience, even if all the requirements are met. Please remember that we need to have adequate resources to serve our patient population. In addition, some areas require a high degree of sensitivity and are not suitable for job shadowing. If your request is not approved, you will be notified.
- Applicants should not have been convicted of any crime, which includes but is not limited to: theft, acts of violence, child/adult abuse, etc. These would eliminate them from being a job shadow participant at Finley Hospital.
- Students should check with the area in which they will be shadowing in order to adhere to their dress code.
- You must be in good health the day of your visit. If you have any symptoms of illness, including fever, rash, cough, etc. you are expected to notify the department and reschedule your job shadow. All applicants must have a current flu shot, prior to their scheduled job shadow.
- Patient confidentiality is extremely important.
- You will be required to sign a form indicating that you understand the importance of patient and hospital confidentiality. In addition, you are expected to comply with appropriate hospital and clinic rules and regulations. We respect the rights of our patients. All patient-related job shadows are subject to patient approval. The patient has the right to refuse to have a job shadow participant present during a visit or procedure. Our first priority is meeting the needs of our patients.