For Health Professionals
The Simulation Education Center resembles our current hospital, consisting of three medical/surgical rooms, ICU, emergency room, exam room and OR suite. The Center is equipped with the latest AV system for video streaming and recording and high-fidelity mannequins that breathe, talk, and allow most procedures.Our mannequin patients include the following:
- four adult males
- pregnant female
- 5-year-old child
- 1-year-old child
- premature baby
Volunteers also play the part of patients when natural conversation and emotions are required.
Examples of Simulation Offerings
- Communication simulations including giving bad news, informed consent, advanced medical directives and disclosing of medical error.
- Inter-professional mock codes
- Medical and nurse residency simulations
- Nursing competency simulations – specific to departments
- Interview simulation circuits
- Nurse Camp
The UnityPoint Health – Des Moines Community Training Center provides approved American Heart Association programs to the community and health care providers. These programs range from the traditional classroom style to online programs with skills testing.
American Heart Association BLS Courses
- BLS Provider Course
- BLS HeartCode
- BLS and Heartsaver New Instructor Course (A current healthcare provider card is required)
- BLS and Heartsaver Instructor Renewal
American Heart Association ACLS Courses
- ACLS New Provider Course with BLS Renewal
- ACLS Renewal with BLS Renewal Course
- ACLS HeartCode
- ACLS Instructor Course - August 2023 (A current ACLS provider card is required)
American Heart Association PALS Courses
- PALS Provider Course
- PALS Renewal Course
How to Claim Your AHA Course eCard
Cards will be available within 20 business days after your class date. Search for your card at www.Heart.org/CPR/MyCards (search using first name, last name, email). If it has been 20 business days since your class date and you are unable to find your eCard, please contact the Training Center.
- Class Submissions Checklist
- BLS Roster
- Heartsaver Roster
- ACLS Roster
- PALS/PEARS Roster
- Instructor Roster
- eCard Order Form - Provider and Instructor cards
- Equipment Reservation Form
- Resource Sheet
The following forms can be found on the AHA Instructor Network:
- Skill Sheets
- Instructor Candidate Application
- Instructor Renewal Checklist
- Instructor Monitoring Form
Training Center Policies
- Compliance Policy
- Course Administration Policy
- Dispute Resolution Policy
- eCard Policy
- Equipment Policy
Training Center Contacts
If you have any questions or concerns please contact one of the team members below.
Training Center Secretary
|Kerry Jo Smith
BLS Training Center Coordinator
ACLS Training Center Coordinator
PALS Training Center Coordinator
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines, comprised of Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Methodist West Hospital and Blank Children's Hospital, is accredited by the Iowa Medical Society to sponsor continuing medical education (CME) for physicians. More than 100 CME programs receive credit through UnityPoint Health – Des Moines each year.
- Upon receipt of all appropriate forms and fees, and when all activities are properly planned and implemented, the Vice President of Medical Education and Research will approve the issuance of AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
- UnityPoint Health – Des Moines views CME as educational activities which serve to maintain, develop or increase the knowledge, skills and professional performance and relationships that a physician uses to provide care for patients. The content of CME is that body of knowledge and skills generally recognized and accepted by the medical profession as within the basic medical sciences, the discipline of clinical medicine and the provision of health care to the public.
- Organizations not accredited to sponsor CME activities may request joint sponsorship with UnityPoint Health – Des Moines. All organizations must meet the Iowa Medical Society Essentials and Standards for Commercial Support.
- A AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ should cover a subject or topic area in scope and depth appropriate for the intended audience. The activity should be planned, conducted and evaluated in terms of educational objectives which define the level of knowledge of specific skills to be attained by persons participating in the activity. When sponsoring a CME activity, UnityPoint Health – Des Moines must be involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the program to the extent that it can document full compliance with the Essentials of the Iowa Medical Society.
Monthly CME Programs
The Office of Research was established more than 25 years ago at UnityPoint Health – Des Moines to help bring new medicines and devices to people who live in the communities we serve, and to provide resources to facilitate the conduct of research at UnityPoint Health facilities.
An investigator by definition is an individual who conducts a clinical investigation. This could be a physician, nurse, pharmacist or anyone who is using a test article with a human subject and is helping to contribute to generalizable knowledge. You can serve as either a Principal Investigator (the lead investigator at the site) or a Sub-Investigator.
How does a research study idea get started? It may happen in a variety of ways, including:
- You hear about an exciting new drug or device being studied.
- A drug or device company contacts you to see if you want to participate in a study.
- Our office contacts you about an exciting new study.
How exactly do you become an investigator?
- Contact the Office of Research at (515) 241-6727.
We will contact you about the next steps in obtaining a study. Our experienced staff is knowledgeable and able to assist with every step of the study process, helping ease the burden on you.